Sunday, November 26, 2006

Weekend Recap





Laura's friends were cast members in the Sault Musical Comedy Guild's production of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". She took me along to see it after a delicious dinner at the Lone Star with fellow musical goers. (Get the Portebello Vegetable Fajitas - they're delicious)

A quick review of the musical:

First the good:

Sarah was excellent as the naive comic relief "Shy" and Jamie did a great job of playing "Ruby Rae". The dance numbers were elaborate and well choreographed (like I know anything about choreography!). The set was impressive and the musicians were more than competent. The actor portraying Jewel brought the house down with her amazing number "Twenty-Four Hours of Lovin'"

Now the bad:

It was a musical. 'Nuff said.

Well, not quite enough. Let me rant a bit here:
The seats in the Kiwanis Theatre are smushed together too closely (no leg room!). The play went on too long with little happening much of the time. (Boring!) Superfluous scenes abounded! An editor was definitely needed. The accents on some of the cast members were hard to understand. And the audio mix was a bit inconsistent.

After the show we headed across the ditch for the usual insanity. This time it was Brady's birthday. The Animal left us a message telling us to follow the trail of chaos if we couldn't find them. We found them.

First stop was the Back Door where Brady won a shitload of stuffed animals (as usual) from the claw machine. He usually sets them up on the dance floor and busts a move with them. I missed it this time. Off to the Downtowner where beer barrels were downed. Next we moved on to the Alpha, munching on the popcorn from the basket that Jake brought with him from the DTer. Brady took down the 4 foot tall trophy from the wall and strutted around the bar with it shouting "We're #1". From there it was across the street to the Corner Pub, where to our disapointment Karoake was cancelled. We still chanted "On the bar! On the bar!" like we always do and Brady laid on the bar and had a shot poured into his mouth.

After that it was off to "The Bird" where Shane and I got up on stage and cut a rug. Finally we made it to "The Savoy" where the bouncer asked me what my postal code was when I showed him my I.D.


It was a good thing I drove 'cause I grew tired of the noise. I'm gettin' old.

All in all, a typical night in Soo Mich.

Laura and I went home and excitedly spoke of moving into our new house (which we get Friday. If you want to help move we'll be doing it Saturday).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went on friday to see the Whorehouse play. I have to disagree with your negitive 'rant'.
I thought it was great, I love musicals, and the play was well directed. I laughed often, I even got a bit teary-eyed at times.
I had a great time. I'm sorry your legs felt smushed, and you were bord. :(

mj

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://fcmx.net/vec/get.swf?i=003702


check this out, drawing a woman from the inside out.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Ludger Sylbaris said...

That "Doatsey Mae" number in the diner could've easily been cut. - Among others.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What!? You are so funny, Ludger! Parhaps you would have liked the diner part if Doatsey Mae had dresses a little more 'sexy'! haha
Actually, I think they dident place enough emphasis on D.Mae's roll in the play.
D.Mae is the only other woman in the play, (other then the whores,) who admires Miss Mona. D.Mae dreams of being sexy, fear-less and 'noticed' by Ed Earl.
Her charactor was actually supposed to hearten you with awareness of the dreams of the 'simple woman'.
In the story Miss. Mona loses the chicken ranch. Thinking she has nothing left she sings a song wondering how her life might have been if she had only chosen to be a waitress.
In the end we find out that Ed Earl is in love with Miss.Mona. He tells her he never wants her to feel lonely.

...I wonder if he would have fallen in love with her, had she lived the life of the 'simple girl'

btw, the diner song is the song that made me 'teary-eyed'.(talk about a difference in opinion, hey!?)haha, maybe I'm just a sucky-pants!

mj

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter