Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Walks On

Is this thing on?  Wow, almost a whole year since my last post.  I probably lost the few readers I had.  Oh well, this was more about chronicling what I had going on in my life than attracting an audience.  If you are still with me, thanks for stopping by.

On to the topic of this post.  I was reading sootoday.com and came across a call for submissions in a writing contest.  I figured I'd try my hand at it and put together this entry.   It's basically all true but for one or two things.


Summer Walks On
"Hey man!  Don't I know you?"  He called to me out of the 
darkness as I crossed Spring St.  I turned to
 see a young man closing the gap between us with a gangsta strut, 
hands concealed inside the front of his black nylon hoodie's pocket .  He was tall and rangy with dull, 
close cropped hair.  His eyes were
 black with dilated pupils and the pock-marks on his face looked 
like the wet sand after a stiletto-heeled volley ball tournament.
"I don't think so.", I countered and turned away, trying to give 
the impression of finality.
"Yeah, man.  I do." he persisted.  

As he drew up beside me I immediately felt a tinge of alarm. 
 The greyhounds could feel it too as they 
began to close ranks beside me.  Eleven o'clock every night my 
elbows are nudged by my two needle 
nosed companions trying to rouse me from inertia as I sit at 
the computer. Their persistence usually wins
out and off we go. Summer nights are my favourite time to 
walk them.  The streets are quiet, the weather
is pleasant and there aren't many people around.  It's a good
 time to clear your head and let the stress of 
the day melt away - exactly the opposite of what was now
 transpiring in this film noir scene I walked into. 

"You must have me mixed up with someone else.", I said 
doing my best Bogart imitation.
"I'm leaving town tomorrow.   Yeah.  Takin' the bus outta
 here.  My brother's gonna set me 
up in T.O.  He's got a crew there and...."  He stopped 
abruptly, turned his face and fixed his stare on me 
as if I had farted in church.  I became uncomfortable 
and cast my eyes down toward the sidewalk. 

"Don't show weakness.  Meet his gaze." said a thought
 from within.  The silent seconds passed as I looked 
into his eyes.  I began to tense up, a shiver radiating 
out from my spine, ready for a physical confrontation 
of some sort.  Attack?  No.  Defend?  Not yet.  Retreat.  
We came up to Brock St. and I swung left with the 
hounds, turning off of Queen St. 

This surprised him and he said, "Hey!  Where you going?  
Don't you wanna walk with me?" 
   
"To be honest with you, I'm getting a bad vibe." I tried 
candor with him.  He took his hands out of his hoodie
 and it continued to sag under the weight of something 
heavy in the pocket pulling downward.
"Aw, c'mon man.  I got some guys after me.  They
 won't bother me if they see me with a big guy like you and
 two big dogs."  My wife likes to call me "soft-hearted" 
but the proper word is "sucker".
"Fine.  Let's go.", I capitulated and changed course.  
The young man immediately launched into a tirade about 
the government monitoring his every move and his 
attempts to confound them with me periodically interjecting 
yeahs and mm-hmms into his chattering delivery.  

A seagull screamed and his ears perked up.  "Did you hear
 that?  That bird is signaling a crew up on Great Northern
 Road, tellin' 'em where I am."
Once again he stopped talking suddenly and stared at me 
as we walked along.  "Say something." I thought nervously.  
"Yeah, well, you're safe here.  You don't have to worry 
about that.", was all I could come up with.   This mollified him 
and he began his next monologue about how much money 
he could make in illegal activities once he gets a crew.  
This exposition was not quite as long as Castro's speeches to the U.N.
As I was racking my brain, thinking about how to 
extricate myself from the situation, voices came to be heard ahead.  
Customers from Paul's Corner Pub were out on the
 stoop sharing a dart.  
"Gotta smoke?  Name's Tyson." was how my companion 
opened a conversation.  

"Once he gets a cigarette I'll leave him to finish it here.", I thought.  
"Hey Paul." I said to the proprietor who was out 
smoking with his patrons.  We were familiar from having crossed 
paths in the music scene years before. 

"Possible back-up if things go down." I told myself.
"Hi.", Paul returned as he exhaled some smoke.  One of the 
smokers offered my sidekick a 
boag.  As he pulled his hand out of his pullover pocket
 to receive the cigarette a 10-inch wooden spike fell and rattled across the pavement.  I shot a look at Paul like a drowning man 
reaching for a life preserver. 
"Looks like a cool place. Maybe I'll come in here." said
 the young man.  

"Time for my escape."  I hoped.
"Maybe you won't." said Paul, crossing his arms in front of
 the doorway.  My escape was foiled as a sad trombone 
played in my head.
I continued on with Tyson in tow, this time he went on about
 how great of a computer hacker he was. His now-expected
 sudden halt and piercing stare that stalled his discourse 
continued to keep me on my guard.  

We approached my street and I decided to pass it without 
any indication of me living there.  "Just got out of detox.  
I think it was a good decision.", he blurted out.  A moment 
of illumination shone on me like the bright red letters of an 
exit sign - my way out.  I picked up the pace and sailed past 
the Algonquin Hotel on a path that would lead us right past
 the Detox center.  
Suddenly Tyson stopped.  "You goin' that way?", he asked.
"Yup.  Heading home.", I answered.
Without another word he turned on his heels and was off 
into the night.  As soon as he was out of sight I quickly doubled
 back with the dogs, taking the back alley home.
The next night found me sitting at the computer, browsing 
the local police beat.  The dogs needed to be particularly 
persistent to pry my eyes away from what I was reading:
"City Police attended at a local establishment in the 1400
 block of Queen Street West after receiving a 911 call. 
It is alleged that a male attended at a local establishment  
and stabbed a male unknown to him several times with a 
wooden spike.
Officers from Patrol Services arrested Tyson McHutchinson 
with one count of Attempt Murder and one count of Assault
 with a Weapon.  He is being held for bail court."

And summer walks on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter