Thursday, November 06, 2008

Current Fixations (Pt. 4)

Canning

Four weeks ago I attempted to make some pickles. Here they are quartered and soaking in coarse salt and water for 2 hours. The plates on top hold the cukes under water.

This is the liquid they'll be boiled and sitting in. If I recall correctly it's vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, dill seeds and water.

Here are the lids and the mixture that goes in the jars. It's green pepper, garlic, and dill seeds.

Boiling rapidly for 10 minutes under at least an inch of water. (Different foods and altitudes require different boiling times)

Let them sit for 4-6 weeks and voila:

I just cracked open the first jar today. Overall, I think they taste good. They're a weird combination of sweet and sharp (sour). I'm hoping more curing time will mellow them out. I'll need a second opinion on the taste and Laura's at work right now. They aren't very crispy either but not bad for a first attempt.

A few weeks later, I also made some salsa.

We opened a jar right away and it wasn't very thick but tasted good (although a bit vinegary). Once again, I'm hoping more curing time will smooth the taste out and thicken things up. Does anyone know if that's true?


I'd like to try canning chili but you can't just use a boiling water canner. You need a pressure canner (which I don't have) but maybe will find somehow.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Nanny makes this:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-Tomato-Relish/Detail.aspx

It's SOoo good!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to sample some!!!
-mary

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter