Sunday, September 21, 2008

Gardening Returns

Despite all my rookie mistakes ("What's this 'pruning' you speak of?"), we ended up with a pretty good haul. Our only casuality was the corn. It didn't make it. Who knew you were supposed to fertilize? Anyway, here's some shots of our harvest so far.

Carrots. They're extremely sweet. In the background on the right you can see my grape vine and the left is the raspberry bush that did pretty well this year too. I was going to try and plant a hazelnut tree from the one at the camp but didn't get around to it. I'll have to learn more about them first - next year, I guess.


Some cukes. I didn't find that huge one for a while (obviously).

Our tomatoes are still not ripening so we picked a bunch today to ripen inside.

We left some out there for on-the-vine ripening. Cherry tomatoes:

I would like to attempt to can some tomato sauce (from scratch) and some salsa. We'll see if that comes to fruition. Canning is another skill I have no idea how to do. But I did buy a book and have two new buddies. David and Andrea at Canning USA have a video called "If I Can, You Can" that will show me how to do it. I love these guys! Check out David's smile at the beginning and Andrea is so wooden. haha love 'em!

Here's our basil and mint. The mint is out of control, like almost every plant we have but it's delicious in mojitos.

And here is the beginning of my wolfberry bushes (aka goji berries). I just took some seeds from dried wolfberries purchased at the Bulk Barn and planted them. Six out of 8 attempts sprouted. We'll see how many survive to one day bear fruit.



The spinach and lettuce were growing like crazy, so we pulled them out and ate them all. It took a while to get through all that lettuce. The beans and peas came out well too, but I didn't take any pics of them.

So for next year, I'd like to learn how to prune and fertilize properly and maybe even learn how to 'seed save'. (Maybe I can still do that last one. There is so much to learn.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Joe and Laura.

BTW, I'm checking out your blog to see pics of your new dogs... update already!!

Mary

7:07 AM  
Blogger Ludger Sylbaris said...

Cloudy days and black dogs do not make for good pics. But I finally got a few so check 'em out above!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter