Tuesday, April 22, 2008

This Olde Guitar

Last week I routed the neck pocket to get the standard 25 1/2 inch scale, got the neck on straight without stripping any screws (finally after 4 attempts), mounted the pickguard, strap buttons and tremolo. This thing is starting to resemble a guitar. I couldn't resist trying it on.....NERD!:

This is the nut I ordered. Notice it's wider than the hole it's supposed to sit in. It also runs over the binding.


A little trim with the dremel gets it to fit:


This guy showed me how to cut the nut (which I haven't quite finished yet)


The pencil is for marking how deep to file the string slots. It lines up with the frets.




These aftermarket pickguards aren't too good. Exhibit A:

I routed out that large chunk in the bottom and enlarged the holes for the bridge posts.

These aftermarket pickguards aren't too good Exhibit B: Check out the gap it left at the rhythm switch:


A drive out to Pointe Aux Pins and Uncle Evert to the rescue. He made this little patch for me. I glued it in and traced the outline of the switch that will sit in the rout:



Here it is with the gap fixed. You shouldn't be able to tell once it's painted. Also....STRINGS!:


I played it today for the first time!!! The action was all whacked and there were no pickups but acoustically it's friggin' loud.

I also installed the string tree. (No pics of that) All that's left is to wire it up and paint it. Sooooo close yet so far away...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter