Monday, April 14, 2008


Build Detour


I had originally planned to do this after my JM project was done but I came across these pickups/pickguard/pots on ebay for super cheap and snatched them up. I think they were cheap 'cause the guy wanted a money order only and no one was willing to take the chance. (Ebay doesn't cover money lost if you pay by money order. They do if you pay by PayPal.)

I never realized how huge those Wide Rangers are compared to the Squier pups.




The pickguard had to be squeezed in in order to get it to fit.



Here you can see where I'll have to do a bit of routing.



I routed the body by hand with a dremel borrowed from my uncle:



Used Jeremy's multimeter to figure out which was the bridge and which was the neck pickup because the guy didn't label them. The values were 8.5k and 8.3k respectively.
Took some finagling but managed to solder and fit the gigantic WRs in there:



Posed shot:




The only downside is that they didn't come with screws and springs so I can't set the pickup heights (and actually use the guitar) until those come in the mail. It was nice to actually do something right the first time as the JM project has been giving me great difficulty for a while now. I may have to redrill the neck holes a fourth time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter